Monday, September 15, 2008

undeserving

Really, I do not deserve to see these lovely, wispy strands of asparagus fern in the photo. I planted it in the spring, mulched 1/8 of it, never watered it, and let the weeds take over. Great strategy, huh? By the time things slowed down enough to look at it, I couldn't see any growth for all of the crab grass that was seeding. Still, I thought it was worth a shot. I weeded, carting 3 or 4 wheel barrow loads of pulled grass out of the bed. I put down Sustane, composted turkey litter, ( the best wedding gift that we received, THANK YOU to Jean and Carol) to fertilize it. I mulched and watered.

New growth is still appearing and quickly growing these fronds. Don't give up is not the lesson to learn here. Don't let things get to this point is the moral of this story.

2 comments:

Joe Brown said...

you DO deserve those asparagi!

Emily Cole said...

Did you get just the turkey litter - or some turkeys too? I LOVE asparagus - and have been wanting to plant some for years now - but can never find it to plant - I guess I'll have to order from a catalog!